Sunday, August 22, 2010

2 wheels are sexier than 4

This weekend downtown Flint was a little more occupied than usual, due to the annual back to the bricks festival. For those unfamiliar with this event, it's an annual gathering of cars and car enthusiasts. People park their cars all along Saginaw Street and those not fortunate (or fortunate, depending on how you look at it) to own one of these classic vehicles wander up and down the street admiring these truly American inventions.

I had been joking with some friends about riding my bike up and down Saginaw with a hand-written "2 wheels are sexier than 4" sign attached to the back of my bike. While a lot of folks said I should or thought it would be hilarious, in the end I chose not to partly because there were so many people downtown that it would have been pretty difficult to ride, but also because I'm pretty sure it would not have gone down well with some people there and I didn't want to end up being pelted with empty beer cans.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking this event. I get that people put a lot of pride and hard work into restoring their cars, this is an opportunity to celebrate an important part of our city's history, and it's great to see so many people out in Flint on a summer's evening. However, as I walked along the bricks with some friends Friday night, I couldn't help but feel a tinge of sadness amongst the celebration. Yes, the car helped to make Flint; to put us on the map so to speak. But it also played a major role in the decline of this city. Strolling past the cars, I felt as if we are clinging to a past that has proved both economically unviable (it's cheaper for cars to be made overseas) and that is keeping us from embracing a more sustainable and lower impact future.

Perhaps back to the bricks is simply for the old-timers of Flint. Those who remember when every Friday night downtown was buzzing like this weekend because everyone had a job and money in their pocket. These folk deserve a chance to celebrate. To be proud of what their city used to be. But I (and I know I'm not alone) still dream of what this city can be. Who knows, in many years to come those who travel to Flint especially for back to the bricks will be showing off their hybrids or electric cars. Or better yet, their sexy bicycles!

While I might still believe that 2 wheels are sexier than 4, I also understand that this city that I once again call home wouldn't be around if it wasn't for the invention of a certain 4-wheeled vehicle. For that I guess I'm sort of grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment