Saturday, May 7, 2011

One Year On

I recently celebrated the one year anniversary of my return to the US.

It has been a a tumultuous twelve months with it's fair share of ups and downs. In my last post I wrote about my Uncle's illness and while his battle was brief and bravely fought, he passed away towards the end of February. It was (and still is) a difficult period for my family. I think one of the blessings of my return to Michigan has been the fact I'm able to spend more time with my parents, particularly as my Dad continues to come to terms to life without his younger brother.

Winter is hard enough in Michigan, but grieving the loss of a family member made it pretty bloody awful. To make matters worse, this winter seemed to never end. It's finally beginning to look and feel like Spring now and I think I can confidently say we've seen the last of the snow for a while.

I was able to continue the riding throughout the winter, although there were days where I opted to leave the bike at home and strap on my winter boots instead. I also moved into my own place at the end of January, so it's an easy walk to downtown Flint and the University. I wasn't sure how I'd get on living a more solitary life, as despite being a few months away from turning 29 this is the first time I've actually lived on my own. This was more out of necessity than choice as in London, it's just too expensive to live on your own. Occasionally I miss the communal aspect of living with people and in the past I've been blessed to share a home with some wonderful people. However I think the solitary life is good for me at the moment. It allows for a lot of freedom, time for reflection, and I do have some wonderful neighbors who provide me with fresh eggs from their backyard and plenty of good times.

Professionally and artistically, I am still pinching myself at how great things are going and I'm feeling more comfortable living and working in Flint for the foreseeable future. I feel a lot more comfortable with teaching now, and for the first time in my life I feel I am finally seeing the fruits of many years of hard work and studying. I've received multiple grants for the collaborative play I'm working on, and this project is gaining a huge amount of interest and attention. I've mentioned it briefly in previous posts, but in a nutshell I'm working with some students to create a play based on interviews with people discussing their experience with arsons in the city. We have a huge problem with arson fires in Flint, and there are many sides to the story that have not been told, or are rarely discussed. It's my hope that this project might change that. It really is an incredible opportunity and working on this play is helping me fall in love with Flint once more. I'm hearing a lot of harrowing stories, but I'm also meeting so many inspiring people who continue to fight against rampant apathy and despair that continues to plague our community. Riding my bike through neighborhoods that have seen several houses burn and are now littered with holes where houses once stood is often a moving experience. I'm thankful that my vehicle of choice often requires me to take the roads less travelled. I'm often amazed at how quiet my rides are. Apart from the occasional dog chasing me, I can often ride blocks without seeing a soul.

I'll be traveling again in a few weeks time as I was also recently selected as one of nine artists-in-residence with a theatre company based in South Korea, so will spend just under a month living in an old school and working on the play I just mentioned. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to get away from other distractions and focus all my time and energy into writing. It's been hard to find the time this year. This trip will mean that I won't be visiting the UK again this year and while I am disappointed I wont get to see friends and spend some time in London in the spring (the best time of year in my opinion), I am very excited at the chance to experience life in a completely different culture.

As I begin to find myself committed to more projects, I am starting to worry if I can realistically continue this car-free living for much longer. I know that even if I do "give in" and buy a car, I wont use it very often and I'll continue to use the bike whenever possible. I am pleased I was able to make it through this past year without a vehicle of my own. Although it has been an inconvenience at times, I can see how my life has greatly improved as a result.

I've been forced to live differently. I have to live closer to where I work. I have to be able to purchase my food from locally owned and operated retailers. Obviously there are also incredible health benefits to riding a bike or walking nearly everyday. I don't go out as much as I probably would if I owned a car, so as a result I've also seen a significant growth in my savings account! While all these things have clearly had a positive impact on my life, perhaps the greatest impact my car-free living has had is how it's forced me to embrace a slower pace of life. I'm a person that likes to keep busy, and always needs a project to be working on, but this experience has given me weekly, or daily opportunities to stop, to slow down, or to take the longer route.

Despite the snow, the rain, and the wind, I feel my life is better as a result of this experience. My bike and I have taken our fair share of beatings during these winter months, but right now I think we both feel pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment