Saturday, July 3, 2010

un-packing

I am now one of the newest residents of Oak Street in Flint.

Last Saturday I moved the rest of my stuff up from my parent’s house in Fenton. After several months of living out of suitcases and having all of my books and other precious things boxed up, it has been lovely to finally unpack and settle into my new home.

I’m living with my old friends Tom & Rachel Wyatt, their four-month-old daughter Hannah, Esther and Dewey (the cats) and Lucy the Rottweiler. Both Tom and Rachel work for the Salvation Army and are committed to developing an incarnational ministry here in Flint, which is a passion I also share. The neighborhood is certainly an interesting place. Just last night Tom and I shared a bit of a laugh at the drama unfolding between a husband and wife next door. Forget reality TV-our neighbors provide plenty of real life drama. Aristotle believed that Tragedy was the highest form of Drama. If that were the case, the cast of characters that make up this street would certainly not be out of place in a Greek Drama of epic proportions.

Now I am living downtown, I have been able to bid farewell (for now) to the long Fenton-Flint bike rides. I no longer have to carry a change of clothing and various other bits in my panniers. The weather has been pleasant enough that I can ride from point A to B and not even break a sweat. It’s been lovely to cycle to the University (where I begin teaching next week), down to the local market to pick up some bits, and even to get a well-needed haircut.

I even had my first night-ride since arriving back in the US. I’ve been a little nervous to ride at night here, as there just isn’t as much street lighting as there is in the UK. Of course I have my bike lights, but they only do so much. I may have to invest in some sexy high visibility clothing if I’m going to continue with the night riding…

I’ve had to improvise when it comes to bike security a little this week. There is plenty of bike parking at the University, but elsewhere it becomes a bit of a problem. Thank goodness I invested in a mega chain that weighs about 10lbs and can securely lock my lovely bike to a small tree, fence, or lamppost when necessary.

I have to say I have been missing a lot of friends and London quite a bit this week. I’m not exactly sure where it’s come from, but I suspect it may have something to do with my un-packing. It might also have something to do with the sheer shock most people display when I tell them I’ve just moved back to Flint from London! While I was still living out of a suitcase I felt in somewhat of a transitional stage, but the act of un-packing has brought with it a new sense of permanence. I don’t know how long I’m going to be here, but I am determined to make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment